Monday, September 10, 2012

Networking via Linkedin

If you're anything like me then when you heard about Linkedin you never really gave it a second thought. Another social media site, so what. In fact, I thought this for years. Boy was I wrong. When starting an online business you begin to try and find ways to market your business for free. Well, when I began my Virtual Assistant business I thought it would be a cake walk. With all the benefits of a Virtual Assistant, I figured I'd have potential clients knocking down my door. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Even with a broad network of business owners, I still had no way of getting new clients.

I began to research free marketing tools online. I came across a few sites that appeared to be free and, of course, weren't. I felt like giving up. I was talking to my friend about how I thought my business was going to be a flop because I couldn't figure out a way to network myself online. She asked me if I had a Linkedin account. I had, what I would call, a shell of an account. Basically, it included my name and where I went to school. Big whoop.

That night, I decided to get online and update my account profile. After an hour or two, I was satisfied with my online resume and began searching for people I used to work with...

Fast forward a couple weeks, and I had almost 100 connections which included old coworkers, bosses and friends. Each day, I would sign on and post a status related to my business. I was essentially planting the seed in my prospective clients. It took a couple months but, low and behold, I got my first client!

-BC

No comments:

Post a Comment